How to Remove Pre Installed Apps on Firestick
Amazon Firestick is an excellent streaming device that can bring a massive collection of TV shows, movies, and music to your home. However, like other Android devices, the Firestick comes with pre-installed apps that you may never use. These apps can take up valuable storage space and slow down the device’s performance. If you want to declutter your Firestick home screen, this guide will teach you how to remove pre-installed apps on Firestick.
Method 1: Uninstalling Apps from the Firestick Home Screen
Uninstalling apps from the Firestick’s home screen is a quick and easy method to remove unwanted apps. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press and hold the Home button on your Firestick remote for a few seconds.
- Select the “Apps” option from the bottom of the screen.
- Highlight the app you want to uninstall and press the “Option” button on your remote.
- Select the “Uninstall” option from the pop-up menu.
- Confirm the action by selecting “OK.” The app will be deleted from your Firestick.
Common Apps that Can Be Uninstalled from the Firestick Home Screen
Here are some of the pre-installed apps that you can uninstall using the above method:
- Amazon Photos
- HBO Max
- IMDb TV
- Pluto TV
- Prime Video
Method 2: Removing Apps from Firestick Using Settings
If you cannot delete an app using the above method, you can try removing it through Firestick’s settings. Here’s how:
- Go to the Firestick home screen and select the “Settings” option from the top menu bar.
- Scroll right and select “Applications.”
- Select “Manage Installed Applications.”
- Scroll through the list of installed apps and select the app you want to remove.
- Select the “Uninstall” option and then confirm it by choosing “OK.”
- The app will be deleted from your Firestick.
Method 3: Using ADB to Uninstall Apps from Firestick
If you want to remove system apps or the above methods didn’t work for you, you can use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) to uninstall apps from Firestick. But, you need a computer and a USB cable for this method. Follow these steps:
- Download ADB on your computer.
- Connect your Firestick to your computer using a USB cable.
- Enable ADB debugging on your Firestick by going to “Settings > My Fire TV > Developer options > ADB Debugging.”
- Open the command prompt on your computer and type “adb devices” to ensure your Firestick is connected.
- Type “adb shell pm list packages” in the command prompt to view all installed apps.
- Find the package name of the app you want to uninstall.
- Type “adb shell pm uninstall -k –user 0 [package name]” to reinstall the app.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I reinstall the pre-installed apps that I removed?
Yes, you can reinstall the apps using the Amazon App Store. Go to the App Store, search for the app, and then click the install button.
2. Will removing pre-installed apps affect the Firestick’s performance?
Yes, removing pre-installed apps can free up valuable storage space and improve the Firestick’s performance. However, removing certain system apps may cause some functionality to stop working.
3. Can I remove Amazon’s branded apps like Alexa, Prime Video, and Music?
No, you cannot remove Amazon’s branded apps from your Firestick as they are part of the Firestick’s operating system.
4. Can I delete the home screen categories on the Firestick?
No, you cannot delete the home screen categories on the Firestick. However, you can customize them by moving the apps around or creating new categories.
5. Can I remove multiple apps at once from my Firestick?
Yes, you can remove multiple apps at once using the Manage Installed Applications method described above. However, you cannot perform a batch uninstallation of pre-installed apps.
Removing pre-installed apps from your Firestick can improve your device’s performance and declutter your home screen. While some apps can be uninstalled using the Firestick’s home screen or settings, others require ADB. However, be cautious while removing system apps, as it may cause some functionality to stop working. We hope this guide helped you remove unwanted apps from your Firestick.