How Long To Cook A Turkey Breast In Crock Pot?
Cooking a turkey breast can be intimidating for some, especially when preparing a meal for a special occasion. However, slow cooking a turkey breast in a crock pot is a stress-free and convenient way to cook a delicious and moist roast. Whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas or any other festive occasion, crock pot turkey is a great option for a memorable and flavorful feast.
Slow cooking turkey breast in a crock pot allows the flavors to blend together and the meat to cook evenly. The cooking time for a turkey breast in a crock pot can vary depending on the size of the turkey, the crock pot temperature, and the recipe used. This article provides a comprehensive guide on how long to cook a turkey breast in crock pot using various techniques and temperatures.
What Is A Crock Pot?
A crock pot, also known as a slow cooker, is an electrical kitchen appliance used to cook food at low temperatures over an extended period. The appliance consists of a ceramic or stoneware pot that fits into a heating base. It has a lid that seals the pot, and most models also have settings that allow the cook to set the temperature and cooking time.
A crock pot is a versatile appliance that is perfect for cooking stews, soups, casseroles, and meats. It is designed to cook food slowly, allowing the flavors of the ingredients to blend together, and the meat to become tender.
How To Prepare A Turkey Breast For Crock Pot Cooking?
Before cooking a turkey breast in crock pot, it is essential to prepare it properly. The following are the steps to prepare a turkey breast for crock pot cooking.
1. Thaw The Turkey Breast: It is crucial to thaw the turkey breast if it is frozen, as cooking frozen meat can lead to uneven cooking and possible food poisoning. The thawing process can be done in a refrigerator, in cold water or in a microwave according to the size of the turkey breast.
2. Season The Turkey: Seasoning the turkey breast enhances the flavor of the meat. Rub the turkey breast with your preferred seasoning mix or use basic salt, pepper, garlic and thyme for a classic flavor. For additional flavor, add chopped vegetables, fruits or herbs.
3. Place Turkey Breast In Crock Pot: Place the turkey breast in the crock pot with the skin side facing up. You may also place the turkey over a bed of vegetables or herbs for additional flavor.
4. Add Liquid To The Crock Pot: Add chicken broth, water or your preferred cooking liquid to the crock pot. The liquid helps tenderize the turkey breast and adds moisture to the meat.
5. Set The Cooking Time And Temperature: Set the cooking time and temperature according to the recipe you are using or based on the size of the turkey breast. The appropriate temperature for crock pot cooking is low or high.
How Long To Cook A Turkey Breast In Crock Pot On Low?
Cooking a turkey breast in a crock pot on low is the most common method. Turkey breast cooked on low is perfectly tender and easy to shred. The following is an estimation of how long to cook a turkey breast in crock pot on low.
1. For A 2-3 Pound Turkey Breast: Cook for 4-6 hours on low.
2. For A 3-4 Pound Turkey Breast: Cook for 6-7 hours on low.
3. For A 4-5 Pound Turkey Breast: Cook for 7-8 hours on low.
How Long To Cook A Turkey Breast In Crock Pot On High?
Cooking a turkey breast on high in a crock pot is ideal when you are short on time. The turkey breast cooked on high is not as tender as the one cooked on low, but it is still delicious. The following is an estimation of how long to cook a turkey breast in crock pot on high.
1. For A 2-3 Pound Turkey Breast: Cook for 2-3 hours on high.
2. For A 3-4 Pound Turkey Breast: Cook for 3-4 hours on high.
3. For A 4-5 Pound Turkey Breast: Cook for 4-5 hours on high.
How To Test When A Turkey Breast Is Cooked?
It is essential to ensure that the turkey breast is fully cooked before serving to avoid food poisoning. The turkey reaches a safe temperature when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165°F (74°C). You can use an instant-read meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of the turkey breast. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, making sure it does not touch the bone. If the temperature is less than 165°F (74°C), continue cooking for a few more minutes, and test again.
Crock Pot Turkey Breast Recipe
Here is a simple recipe for crock pot turkey breast that you can try at home.
– 1 Turkey breast (3-4 pounds )
– 1 cup chicken broth
– 1 chopped onion
– 4 cloves of minced garlic
– 1 tablespoon thyme
– 1 tablespoon rosemary
– 1 tablespoon salt
– 1 tablespoon pepper
1. Rinse and pat dry the turkey breast.
2. Season the turkey with salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary.
3. Place the turkey in a crock pot.
4. Add chicken broth, onion, and garlic to the pot.
5. Cover the pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
6. Test the internal temperature of the turkey with a meat thermometer. The temperature should read 165°F(74°C).
7. Let the turkey rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Crock Pot Turkey Breast FAQs
1. Can You Cook A Frozen Turkey Breast In A Crock Pot?
No, it is not safe to cook a frozen turkey breast in a crock pot. Thaw the turkey breast before placing it in the crock pot.
2. Can You Cook A Turkey Breast In A Crock Pot Without Liquid?
No, it is not recommended to cook a turkey breast in a crock pot without liquid. The liquid helps keep the meat moist and tender.
3. How Do You Store Leftover Crock Pot Turkey Breast?
Place leftover crock pot turkey breast in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to four days. You may also freeze the leftover turkey for up to six months.
4. Can You Use Boneless Turkey Breast In A Crock Pot?
Yes, you can use a boneless turkey breast or a bone-in turkey breast in a crock pot. However, bone-in turkey breast may take longer to cook than boneless turkey breast.
5. How Far In Advance Can You Cook A Turkey Breast In A Crock Pot?
You can cook a turkey breast in crock pot one or two days in advance. Refrigerate the turkey breast and reheat it in the oven or microwave before serving.
In conclusion, cooking a turkey breast in crock pot is an easy and convenient way to make a delicious meal for any occasion. The cooking time for a turkey breast in a crock pot may vary depending on the size of the turkey, the crock pot temperature, and the recipe used. It is essential to prepare the turkey breast properly, use the right amount of liquid, and cook it until it reaches a safe internal temperature. Experiment with different seasonings and recipes to create a perfect crock pot turkey breast that your family and friends will love.