How To Make A Dog Throw Up After Eating Chocolate

How To Make A Dog Throw Up After Eating Chocolate

Dogs have a love for chocolate that can be unfortunately dangerous. Chocolate, for a dog, is a toxic substance that they cannot digest properly which can lead to serious health consequences. Symptoms of chocolate ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, shaking, and rapid breathing. If your dog has eaten chocolate, it’s best to take immediate action.

One of the first steps to be taken is to make the dog vomit so that the chocolate can be removed from the stomach before it’s fully absorbed into the body. It is one of the quickest methods to control toxicity since the window for intervention gets narrower with time. In this article, we will go through the different ways to make your dog throw up and ensure that they are safe.

How to make your dog throw up after eating chocolate?

If your dog has consumed chocolate, it’s best to take them to a veterinarian as soon as possible. However, if you cannot reach the veterinarian quickly, there are certain ways you can induce vomiting in your dog. In most cases, inducing vomiting within two hours after ingestion can be helpful to remove the chocolate from the system.

See also  How To Find Exact Value Of Trig Functions Calculator

Please note that the following steps should not be used for every situation, as there are some cases in which inducing vomiting is not recommended or may be dangerous. For instance, if your dog has ingested something sharp, you should not try to make them throw up. Similarly, if your dog is showing signs of distress, lethargy or has collapsed, do not induce vomiting, immediately take them to the veterinarian.

Method 1: Using Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide works by causing a chemical reaction in the stomach, that produces bubbles which irritate the lining of the stomach and make the dog throw up. Before you proceed, make sure to speak with a veterinarian about the correct dosage for hydrogen peroxide. Also, ensure that you’re using the correct concentration of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Here are the steps to take when using hydrogen peroxide:

  1. Mix one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in a bowl with a tablespoon of water per ten pounds of body weight. A maximum of three tablespoons should be given to dogs weighing over 45 pounds, and less for smaller dogs.
  2. Using a syringe, dropper or baster, slowly pour the mixture into the dog’s mouth, holding its mouth open.
  3. Wait for five to ten minutes. If the dog doesn’t vomit after ten minutes, repeat the process again.

After the dog has vomited, make sure to clean up the throw up and rinse their mouth with water.

Method 2: Using saltwater

Saltwater is a natural way to induce vomiting in dogs. It works by irritating the lining of the stomach, which leads to vomiting. Here’s how to use saltwater:

  1. In a bowl, mix a tablespoon of salt with two cups of warm water until the salt is completely dissolved.
  2. Gently pour the mixture into your dog’s mouth or use a dropper or syringe to give them the solution.
  3. Gently massage the dog’s stomach area to help the solution move down their esophagus.
  4. Wait for ten to fifteen minutes for the dog to vomit.
  5. If after fifteen minutes the dog hasn’t thrown up, repeat the process again.
See also  How Many Seasons Of My Hero Academia Are There Going To Be

Please note that saltwater should be used with caution as too much concentrated salt can lead to dehydration and other health problems.

Method 3: Ipecac syrup

Ipecac syrup is a drug available over-the-counter and is useful when inducing vomiting. It works when consumed by irritating the stomach lining which leads to vomiting. However, the use of ipecac syrup to make a dog vomit can have unwanted side effects, and its use for dogs is not recommended unless instructed by a veterinarian.

Dogs have a higher sensitivity to toxins than humans, and the dose of ipecac syrup to induce vomiting can be harmful to their health. It is crucial to speak to a veterinarian before using ipecac syrup with your dog.

Some FAQs about making a dog vomit

Q1. After inducing vomiting, what should I do next?

After your dog has thrown up, it’s essential to do two things: observe them carefully and make sure that they’re drinking plenty of water. Observe the color, smell and consistency of the vomit to note any changes in their condition. Also, pay attention to their level of activity, appetite, and behavior. If they seem depressed, lethargic or show signs of distress, it’s best to take them to the veterinarian.

Q2. How long should I wait before inducing vomiting for my dog?

You should induce vomiting in dogs within two hours of them eating the chocolate. After the two-hour window, there is a risk that the chocolate has been fully absorbed into the bloodstream. Therefore, it’s best to take your dog to the veterinarian immediately.

See also  How Long Does It Take To Get Std Results Back

Q3. Can different types of chocolate be more dangerous than others?

Yes, the severity of poisoning depends on the type of chocolate ingested. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baker’s chocolate are the most dangerous as they contain high amounts of theobromine, the ingredient that makes chocolate toxic to dogs. Additionally, semi-sweet or milk chocolates have lower levels of theobromine, but they can still cause harm to your dog.

Q4. What are the signs that my dog has ingested chocolate?

If your dog has eaten chocolate, they may show signs of:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased heart rate
  • Restlessness or hyperactivity
  • Tremors or shaking
  • Muscle rigidity or stiffness

Q5. Can I induce vomiting for my cat using these methods?

No, you should not attempt to make your cat or any other animals vomit at home without direction from a veterinarian. Cats have a different metabolism than dogs and, thus, respond differently to substances like hydrogen peroxide. It’s best to take your cat to the veterinarian for proper clinical assessment and treatment.


If your dog has consumed chocolate, time is of the essence, and it’s best to take them to the veterinarian right away. However, if you are in a situation where you cannot go to the vet immediately, the above methods will work to remove the chocolate from the dog’s stomach. But, It’s crucial to ensure you’re taking appropriate measures and considering the circumstances before inducing vomiting.

Also, please note that inducing vomiting should never be the first resort in case your dog eats something it’s not meant to. Instead of trying to induce vomiting, contact your veterinarian or an animal poison control center for immediate medical advice.

Leave a Comment