How to Start Your Car if Your Key Fob Isn’t Working
Key fobs are extremely convenient when it comes to starting your car. However, when they stop working, it can be quite frustrating. Luckily, there are ways to start your car even if the key fob isn’t working. In this article, we will discuss various methods you can use to get your car started.
Method 1: Use the Key Blade
Most key fobs have a key blade that can be used to manually unlock the car. If your key fob isn’t working, try using the key blade to unlock the driver’s side door. Once the door is unlocked, insert the key into the ignition and turn it to start the car.
Steps to use the key blade:
1. Locate the key blade on your key fob.
2. Press the release button to remove the key blade.
3. Use the key blade to manually unlock the driver’s side door.
4. Insert the key blade into the ignition and turn to start the car.
Method 2: Use a Spare Key
If you have a spare key, use it to unlock the driver’s side door and start the car. If you don’t have a spare key, consider getting one made. It’s always a good idea to have a spare key in case of emergency.
Steps to use a spare key:
1. Locate your spare key.
2. Use the spare key to manually unlock the driver’s side door.
3. Insert the spare key into the ignition and turn to start the car.
Method 3: Jump-Start Your Car
If the key fob isn’t working because of a dead battery, jump-starting your car might be the solution. Jump-starting your car involves using another car’s battery to jump-start yours. Make sure you follow the correct steps to jump-start your car safely.
Steps to jump-start your car:
1. Locate the battery of your car and the car you’ll use to jump-start yours.
2. Connect the positive (red) cable to the positive terminal of your car’s battery.
3. Connect the other end of the positive cable to the positive terminal of the other car’s battery.
4. Connect the negative (black) cable to the negative terminal of the other car’s battery.
5. Connect the other end of the negative cable to an unpainted metal surface on your car, away from the battery.
6. Start the car with the good battery and let it run for a few minutes.
7. Try to start your car. If it doesn’t start, wait a few more minutes and try again.
Method 4: Replace the Key Fob Battery
If the key fob isn’t working because of a dead battery, replacing it might solve the problem. Most key fobs have a replaceable battery that can be easily swapped out. Check your key fob’s user manual for instructions on how to replace the battery.
Steps to replace the key fob battery:
1. Locate the battery cover on the key fob.
2. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to pry open the battery cover.
3. Remove the old battery and insert the new one.
4. Close the battery cover.
Method 5: Reset the Key Fob
Sometimes, the key fob’s programming can get messed up, causing it to stop working. Resetting the key fob might solve the problem. Check your key fob’s user manual for instructions on how to reset it.
Steps to reset the key fob:
1. Sit in the driver’s seat with all doors closed.
2. Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the “on” position.
3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob at the same time for about 15 seconds.
4. Release the buttons and remove the key from the ignition.
5. Test the key fob to see if it’s working.
What should I do if none of these methods work?
If none of these methods work, it might be a problem with the car’s security system. Take your car to a professional mechanic or the dealership for further assistance.
Can I start my car with a dead key fob battery?
If the key fob battery is completely dead, you won’t be able to remotely unlock the doors or start the car. You can use the key blade to manually unlock the driver’s side door and start the car.
Can I start my car if I lost my key fob?
If you lost your key fob, you can still start your car if you have a spare key. If you don’t have a spare key, you’ll need to get a replacement key from a locksmith or the dealership.
Can I start my car without a key fob or a key?
No, you cannot start your car without a key or a key fob. The key or key fob is necessary to start the car’s ignition.